Application Deadline: August 9, 2018
Applications are invited for the Reporters Without Borders Germany Berlin Scholarship Program 2018. Journalists from war zones and crisis areas are invited to come to Berlin for three to four months. During this time they can enjoy a break and complete a comprehensive training program in digital security issues relevant to their work.
The aim of the scholarship is to provide scholarship holders with practical knowledge on how to protect themselves against digital threats such as surveillance or hacker attacks in their journalistic work. In addition, they will also receive training in how to teach others in their home region about digital security issues. In this first round of the program, four scholarships will be awarded for the period from October 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018. In 2019, three further rounds of four scholarships will be awarded in separate calls for applications.
- Travel costs, all visa-related matters are covered;
- A pleasant apartment is provided in Berlin for the duration of the scholarship, pocket money of around €1000 per month, free use of public transport in Berlin and a fully equipped computer, and also organize participation in a varied scholarship program taught by experts in the field of digital security and didactics;
- Furthermore, during their stay in Berlin scholarship holders will be given insights into the activities of a globally active journalist and human rights organization.
- Open to professional journalists, bloggers and citizen journalists who
- are exposed to digital threats due to their work in their home regions,
- want to learn and work extensively with digital security in order to improve their personal security
- are interested in passing on the knowledge acquired during the scholarship program to colleagues in their home regions and, ideally, already have some experience in teaching (including in other areas).
- Scholarship holders must have good to very good command of English, as the working language of the scholarship program will be English. They should also have adequate experience working as a journalist. In addition, applicants must have every intention of returning to their home region after three to four months of residence in Germany.
Please send a completed and signed application form, the completed questionnaire, your CV and your identity documents (scanned copies) in separate PDF documents as email attachments (in total 4 PDFs) by email
If you use Signal-Messenger, you can also send your application to +49163 6182705.
For more information,
Visit Berlin Scholarship Program official webpage.