Application Deadline: August 1, 2018
Winners will be announced on 21 September 2018.
Applications are now open for the second round of the Olive Tree Awards Essay Competition, the first such endeavour specifically designed to give young people a voice in advancing the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Millennials under 30 all over the world are invited to submit essays of up to 1,200 words on the topic: “How Travel & Tourism can Contribute to the United Nation Sustainable Development Goals.”
Conceptualised and initiated by Imtiaz Muqbil, Executive Editor of Travel Impact Newswire, the essay competition is an extension of The Olive Tree, the first publication of its kind designed to help travel & tourism become a more enthusiastic part of the solution in achieving the UN SDGs. The prize money is being generously donated by a prominent Dubai-based benefactor from the Islamic world who preferred to remain anonymous.
- The winner will get prize money of US$1,000 and two runners-up will get US$500 each.
- Writers must be aged under 30 at the date of submission (ID proof of age will be required);
- Writers need not be employees or students of Travel & Tourism;
- Anyone can submit an essay, but there must be a Travel & Tourism angle;
- Essays must be written in English, up to a maximum length of 1,200 words.
Tips and Guidance for Writers
- Study the SDGs carefully
- Think deeply about any aspect of Travel & Tourism which is relevant to the SDGs;
- Download the Olive Tree Publications to access thought-prompting ideas on the topic;
- Pen an essay presenting a good idea, venting a powerful frustration, or sharing a passion, experience or event;
- Don’t feel held back. Let your creativity, and especially your conscience, be your guide;
- Controversial themes which challenge conventional wisdoms are particularly welcome;
- Look beyond environmental issues. Explore ideas in the fields of peace & conflict, good governance, anti-corruption, transparency, accountability, human rights, universal values, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Although all essays must be in English, they will be judged on the quality of the ideas, NOT the quality of the English.
Send all essays along with proof of age and a short personal biodata to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more info
Visit Olive tree essay competition announcement page