KAS Media Scholarships Programme Sub-Sahara Africa is offering a university scholarship to a promising, young sub-Saharan African journalist to do a full-time Honours or Masters Degree at the University of Witwatersrand’s Journalism Programme in Johannesburg in 2019. The scholarship includes the university fees, return flight to Johannesburg, accommodation costs for student housing and a monthly stipend.
Application Deadline: 13th July
Who is eligible to apply for the KAS Media Scholarships
- Candidates should be under 30 years old, working as a journalist in a sub-Saharan African country and fluent in English.
- For Honours, candidates must have at least three years’ working experience and either an undergraduate degree or pass an entrance test.
- For Masters, candidates must have a degree equivalent to the BA Honours in Journalism (or related field) and at least three years’ working experience.
- Candidates must work closely with KAS Media Africa during their stay in Johannesburg and write a bi-monthly narrative report on their study progress.
- A one page motivation letter
- A CV
- Two examples of published work (article / broadcast piece)
- Two letters of nomination/reference from a senior journalist, publisher or academic
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “KAS scholarship” in the subject heading.
• Candidates should make themselves available in early-August for an interview by skype or telephone and be willing to sit a test exam.
• The decision on the award will be made before the end of August 2018.
• Successful candidates will be expected to complete an online student application and supply all the necessary documentation, including a SAQA assessment.
• The application for a student visa will be the responsibility of the candidate, who must begin the process before the end of October 2018.
• The academic year starts in the beginning of February 2019, and ends with the submission of research in November or the following February. The successful candidate should plan to travel in late January 2019.
For more info
Visit the official scholarship application website