Application Deadline: June 28, 2018
Noting that 2018 will mark the centenary of the birth of the late Nelson Mandela, the UN General Assembly has decided to convene a high-level plenary meeting to be known as the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit on 24 September 2018 at UN Headquarters in New York, in accordance with General Assembly resolution 72/243.
In July 2018 (date TBD), the co-facilitators of the preparatory process for the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit will convene a one-day preparatory meeting at UN Headquarters in New York.
- At the request of the Office of the President of the General Assembly (OPGA), the UN Non-Governmental Liaison Service (UN-NGLS) is facilitating a process to identify:
1) stakeholders to attend the July meeting convened by the co-facilitators during the preparatory process;
2) 1 stakeholder speaker for the September Nelson Mandela Peace Summit;
3) stakeholders to attend the September Nelson Mandela Peace Summit as observers.
- Travel funding will be available from the UN to support the participation of the selected stakeholder speaker in the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit.
Before submitting an application to attend the event, please:
- Review the background information for this event:
- Confirm that the candidate meets all of the following criteria:
- is a representative of a stakeholder organization that has had a long-term programmatic focus on issues to be addressed in this event;
- has demonstrated the ability to engage constructively with a variety of stakeholders;
- has a visa for travel to New York, or is able to obtain one for travel to New York without assistance from the UN. Please check with the US Embassy or Consulate in the candidate’s country or place of residence.
- UN-NGLS will facilitate a stakeholder Selection Committee for the evaluation and short-listing of the candidates for the speaking role to be presented to OPGA for their consideration. The Committee will ensure regional and gender balance, and diversity of constituency and expertise in the overall set of candidates. The President of the General Assembly will make the final selection of the speaker for this event.
Eligible Regions: Open for All
Apply online through the given link.