Application Deadline: August 31, 2018
The Africa Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) – a Specialized Technical Health Agency of the African Union, invites qualified candidates to apply for a full scholarship to undertake the full-time study in the Master of Science in Epidemiology degree programme at the University of the Witwatersrand’s School of Public Health.
The candidates can apply for any of the six fields of study under the programme. These are:
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Field Epidemiology
- Infectious Diseases Epidemiology
- Public Health Informatics
- Biostatistics and
- Implementation Science.
The degree programmes are open to candidates from a range of disciplines including clinical
and other health-related fields; statistics and other quantitative fields, as well as demography
and social sciences. The scholarship will focus on candidates currently working with the National Public Health Institutes in their respective countries.
DEGREE PROGRAMME TO BE SPONSORED
- Master of Science in Epidemiology in any of the fields of study listed above (18 months fulltime)
- Be a citizen of and resident in any of the 55 African Union Member States, and working with a National Public Health Institute
- Must be nominated by a National Public Health Institute of any of the 55 African Union Members States
- Have proof of admission to undertake the full time Masters programme at the University of Witwatersrand
- Be a holder of a honours degree or equivalent in a relevant field, an MBBCh or other health related degree, at the level of Upper Second Class Honours or equivalent
- The degree must be from a reputable fully accredited University
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts, and academic awards, if any
- Be able to commit to work in a National Public Health Institute in an African Union Member State on completion of studies for at least three (3) years
- Applicants should be 35 years or younger by 31st August 2018
- Be proficient in English
- Meet the university programme’s requirements: http://www.wits.ac.za/publichealth/academic-programmes/postgraduate/master-of-science-in-epidemiology/
The Africa CDC will provide full scholarships for ten Masters students in the 2019 academic
year. The scholarship covers the following:
- The cost of one most direct return economy air ticket per year;
- Tuition fees which will be paid directly to the University;
- Basic medical and accident insurance;
- Monthly stipend to cover living expenses including accommodation;
- A limited allowance towards the costs of recommended learning materials (reference text books and necessary software);
- Limited support for the research project expenses and
- Limited support towards the cost of a laptop.
How to Apply:
The application process is in two-fold.
1. a. Application for admission to the University of the Witwatersrand
Apply by completing a University of the Witwatersrand postgraduate application form online at: Application form
You can also go to: Apply here for general application queries.
An application fee of R200 is required for all applications.
Deadline for application for admission into the programme is 31 August 2018.
b. Application for university accommodation
Applicants should apply for university accommodation also.
Click here to apply for accommodation
Deadline for application for accommodation is 31 October 2018.